Fire Engineering is the application of scientific and engineering principles, rules, codes, and expert judgement, which is implemented to protect people, property, manufacturing processes and the environment from the destructive effects of fire.With the ever changing engineering environment it is important for companies to stay up to date on all information pertaining to Health Safety and Environment.
These objectives are achieved by a variety of activities such as:
- Assessment of the hazards and risks of fire and it's effects.
- Reduction of potential fire damage by accurate design and construction practises.
- Design, installation, maintenance and/or development of fire detection, fire suppression and fire control systems.
NEDA provides fire engineering design, consultation and assessments for the industries such as but not limited to:
- Agricultural and Food Processing
- Pulp and Paper
- Power generation
Our Fire Fighting system designs are in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the South African Bureau of Standard codes.
- NFPA 10 Portable Fire extinguishers.
- NFPA 11 Low expansion foam and combined agent systems.
- NFPA 12 Carbon Dioxide extinguishing systems.
- NFPA 13 Installation of sprinkler systems.
- NFPA 14 Installation of stand pipe and hose systems.
- NFPA 15 Water spray fixed systems for fire protection.
- NFPA 16 Foam/water sprinkler and spray fixed systems.
- NFPA 20 Standard for the installation of stationery pumps for fire protection, centrifugal fire pumps.
- NFPA 22 Standard for Water Tanks for private Fire Protection
- NFPA 24 Standard for the installation of private Fire Service Mains and their Appurtenances
- NFPA 30 Flammable and combustible liquid code.
- NFPA 75 Protection of electronic computer/ data processing
- NFPA 78 Lightning protection code.
- NFPA 101 Life safety code.
- NFPA 120 Standard for Fire prevention and control in Coal Mines
- SABS 810:1992 Potable rechargeable Fire Extinguishers – Dry Powder type Extinguishers
- SABS 889:1992 Potable rechargeable Fire Extinguishers – Water type Extinguishers
- SANS 10400-W Application of National Building Regulations – Fire Installation
- SANS 10400-T Application of National Building Regulations – Fire Protection
NEDA provides the service of fire engineering to our clients to evaluate their facilities according to NFPA 30 and then submitting recommendations concerning modifications and repairs of their facilities in order to become complient with the relevant standards.
NEDA further provides detailed fire engineering services for the design of new fire fighting systems, for both foam and water of their facilities according to NFPA 30. These services include:
- Fire Water Tank Sizing
- Fire Water Pump Sizing
- Foam Tank Sizing
- Storage Tanks Fire Fighting Systems
- Storage Area Fire Fighting Systems
- Pump House Fire Fighting Systems
- Road Loading and off loading Fire Fighting Systems
- Rail Loading Fire Fighting Systems
- Piping layout of Fire Fighting Systems